2016 VBL SUMMER League Rules & Regulations
- Four (4) ten (10) minute quarters, running clock.
- Each team will be allotted one (1) full minute timeout per quarter (timeouts DO NOT carryover).
- In result of a tie, there will be a 2-minute overtime. If a tie remains, there will then be a 1-minuteovertime. Lastly, a sudden death triple overtime will take place to declare a winner.
- When entering the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter, if the score differential is 10 points or less, the team that is winning will have 10 seconds to shoot the ball. The count down of 10 seconds only begins once the ball crosses half-court.
- 8 seconds to pass half-court.
- Fourth quarter and overtimes: The game clock will stop on every made basket in the last two (2)minutes. Clock will not start until the ball is touched on inbound pass.
- The clock will not stop if the point differential is over 10 points.
- SUBSTITUTIONS: NO MORE HOCKEY SUBS! Players must wait for a dead ball to entergame.
- GOALTENDING: A player may touch the ball if the ball is still on the rim (that goes for putback dunks, defensive rebounds, etc.). FIBA rules!
- FOUL OUT RULE: Players will foul out after their 5th foul. NO HACKING!
- COUNT IT RULE: When a player is fouled in the act of going to the basket with the intentionsof scoring, they will receive the ball if the shot is missed. Within the same possession, if this occurs for a second consecutive time, the player will be rewarded with a made basket. This is followed with a change of possession and play continues.
- FREE THROWS: Throughout the half, team fouls will be tallied. In the last minute of the 4th quarter, if a team has 8 or more team fouls, each foul that is assessed will then result in a one and one free throw situation. The same rule applies for all Overtimes.
- A technical foul will result in having the player sit down for 2 minutes. Second technical foul to the same player will result in an automatic ejection and a one game suspension.
- A flagrant foul will result in having the player sit down for 2 minutes. The player who is fouled will be rewarded with a one (1) point penalty and the ball. Second flagrant foul to the same player will result in an automatic ejection and a one game suspension. The reward of one (1) point penalty and the ball still apply.
- Man to Man defense at all times (NO ZONE)
- Defensive three seconds – The first violation will be a warning. Any further violations, the offensive team will be awarded one point penalty and the ball.
- Teams will be given 10 minutes to warm up before tip off.
- The game will start at its scheduled time! Show up early and be ready to play! If a team is notready to play by tip off with at least five (5) players, a technical will be assessed to this team. The opposing team will receive two (2) free throw attempts. A five (5) minute grace period will be given after the warm up time is up. If the team still does not have at least five (5) players after the grace period is up, the game will result in a forfeit.
- VBL is a family atmosphere. Be respectful. FAIR/ FUN/ SAFE
TEAMS & ROSTERS
- Each coach or team representative will be given a set of jerseys (tops & bottoms) prior to the season. He/she will be responsible for the set in its entirety throughout the season. In the event of a lost jersey top/bottom, see “Fines” on page 4.
- Each player participating in the games must be wearing the full team jersey (top & bottom).
- Each team must submit a roster sheet of their players prior to the season beginning on June 9th
- Rosters may be changed throughout the season. All changes need to be documented by one ofthe League Directors: Josef Thompson or Brian Matsumoto.
- IMPORTANT: If a roster change involves a player from another VBL team, this transactionmust be cleared by both coaches and one of the League Directors before a game is played.
- ALL PLAYERS MUST CHECK IN BEFORE GAME! This is crucial in our efforts to provideeveryone with accurate statistics throughout the season. (Coaches will be given a roster sheetprior to each game in case a roster change has taken place)
- The league will consist of 8 games in regular season play. Team’s standings at the end of seasonwill determine playoff position.
- The top eight (8) teams from the season will advance to the playoffs.
- The number 1 seed will play the number 8 seed, the number 2 seed will play the number 7 seedand so on.
- In the case of ties, in which regular season records are the same, playoff seeding will bedetermined by the results of the in season head to head competition of those two teams. If a tie still exists, the point differential for the entire season will be used to determine seeding. If a tie still exists, a coin toss will be conducted.
- The playoffs will proceed using standard bracket play.
- No player can play on a team in the playoffs unless he/she has played at least one (1) regularseason game with that team.
- In the case of lost jerseys, there will be a $20 fee to replace jersey top and $20 fee to replaceshorts.
- If a player is ejected from a game, it will result in a $50 fine.
- Any deliberate act of violence (punch being thrown, physical/verbal threats, or any other form offighting) will result in an automatic ejection from the game, a $50 fine and indefinite expulsionfrom the league upon further review from the commissioner and league officials.
If a player retaliates he will receive $100 fine in case of any acts of violence. 4. If a player or coach is ejected from the game, he must immediately remove himself from the team bench. Any further actions to disrupt game play from this person will result in the possibility of league expulsion. This will be a joint decision, made by the commissioner and league officials. Conduct:
- Unsportsmanlike conduct on the part of any player, coach, or other participating members of theteam will not be tolerated.
- Unsportsmanlike conduct may result in ejection for the contest, facility and possibly the leaguedepending on the severity of the action.
- Coaches/team representatives are responsible for knowing the league rules and regulations aswell as the season schedule and making sure your team has enough players to play your game.